I was pretty nervous yesterday. I woke-up early to start the rush of getting myself and the kids ready to be out the door first thing in the morning. James and I had the fetal assessment appointment with the genetics doctor and a high risk doctor bright and early and Rhys is in Art Camp this week. The kids were picked-up by my mom and we headed over to HSC to find-out what, if anything, was going on with our little baby.

I figured we’d hear one of three outcomes; good news, inconclusive news or bad news. I was anxious thinking about all of them. The genetics doctor was welcoming and kind. James and I both got the impression that he wasn’t concerned at all about the findings of the ultrasound. My chances for having a child born with Down Syndrome (based on age) were 1:1050 but with the findings of our first ultrasound that number was halved to 1:525 for this baby. He didn’t push us to get an amnio, I was apparently booked for one but we declined it, and seemed to agree that we would just wait and see what came-up in the fetal assessment and then we’d go from there.

Afterwards James and I took our papers and made the long walk from one end of the hospital, through the tunnels and all the way to the other to have the ultrasound. Again, our technician was welcoming and kind, and quite funny. She spent awhile looking at the heart and the feet (and all of the other areas she had to cover) then called the high risk doctor in to take a look as well. Both of them weren’t worried at all. The heart still has a few ecogenic focus (white spots) but they aren’t as bright as they were before. The right ventricular tract seems to have corrected itself or they just got a clearer picture this time. The right foot appears slightly off axis, but it’s so slight that neither of them could say either way and it’s something we’ll have to wait until birth to see. The foot was the least of our concerns since it can be easily corrected with casts and surgery. We were praying for a healthy heart and no genetic disorders and it seems those prayers have been answered! Praise God. The genetics doctor will still review the report, but at this point I’d be surprised to hear news other than ‘baby looks healthy’.

This was one of the first images that popped-up on the screen. I immediately looked at James and exclaimed that this baby has Rhys’ exact profile, he agreed. We couldn’t get over how much little perogy already looks like a sibling. Once we got Rhys from his class I handed him the picture and asked who he thought the baby looked like, to which he replied, “Me! That means it’s a boy! Can we name it Rhys?” He was happy about this, although I explained that it doesn’t mean that it’s a boy just because the baby looks like him.

Thank you all for your prayers and support over the past few weeks. I will make-sure to keep you all posted, especially if something else arises from the ultrasound findings. I’m now praying that the only thing we hear from those doctors is ‘healthy baby’ and that I can stay in the care of my midwife, have a natural labour/delivery and be able to birth and the birthing centre.

While we were at the beach last Friday the kids and I collected some feathers that were floating around the area. I thought that we’d put these to use (so they didn’t just float around my house) and so some feather painting! We pulled-out our supplies yesterday afternoon to see how we could paint with feathers. The kids really enjoyed painting with something other than a standard brush, I highly recommend this artsy craft for any children who love to paint.

After our painting adventure I was feeling motivated to organize so I scavenged the basement and brought up what little baby supplies I had held onto and a bunch of Amelia’s clothes to sort into the newly finished closet cabinets that James put into the kids room. There are three of these units in a row. Each has a two doors, a top shelf, a closet rod, one small drawer and two larger drawers. I LOVE them! We are going from an itty bitty impossible to organize closet to loads of proper storage. Amelia has two of the three cabinets for the time being, but I’ve purchased under-the-bed storage for each child so hopefully her vast wardrobe won’t overpower the baby’s space. I also needed to take stock of what baby stuff I still had since my mom and I are taking our annual girls trip to the States soon (can’t wait!) and I plan on purchasing a bunch of odds and ends while I’m down there.

Rhys and Ammie helped me unpack all of the baby clothes, which they were both so thrilled to be included in. Ammie did the standard, “Awwwww, that’s soooooo C-UUUUTE!” for each thing she pulled-out. After the first few items they really REALLY got excited for the baby and started talking all about how they are going to help-out and how they’re going to cuddle it and read to it and make it giggle and laugh.

I have to say, yesterday was a pretty good day. We got some great news and a huge answer to lots of prayer, watched some olympics, did a craft and listened to The Beach Boys while getting excited about the baby.


1 Comment

Filed under Uncategorized

One response to “Tuesday.

  1. jule

    so glad james could go with you. 🙂 xoxoxoxoxoxo. can’t wait to see the little perogy myself one day… haha

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s